RNA Awards for Religion Reporting Excellence: Books
AWARD RULES, ENTRY FEES & DEADLINES
GENERAL CONTEST INFORMATION
NEED ASSISTANCE? Contact Debra Mason, 573-882-9257.
ENTRY FEES & DEADLINE
- Submit two copies of a nonfiction book published in 2012. Eligible books are those employing journalistic technique and classified as biography, history, current affairs, analysis, business and some memoirs.
- Excluded from eligibility are books classified as fiction, self-published, scriptural exegesis, scriptural commentary, self help, how tos, and memoirs that are primarily spiritual journeys.
- Do not submit galley proofs or pre-published versions.
- Books will not be returned.
- RNA reserves the right to limit the presentation of awards for insufficient entry numbers.
ENTRY FORM | ENTRY INSTRUCTIONS
- Early-bird entry fee (by 5 p.m. est, Jan. 18): $45 for members / $90 for non-members
- Regular entry fee: $75 for members / $120 for non-members
- Deadline: Enter online and postmark book copies by 11:59 PM CT on Feb. 1, 2013.
All authors and books are eligible for this category, except those books classified as fiction, self-published, scriptural exegesis, scriptural commentary, self help, how tos, and memoirs that are primarily spiritual journeys. In addition:
- RNA membership is not required for entry.
- RNA's president and vice presidents are not eligible to enter individual contests.
1) Complete an online entry form and submit payment. If your entry was successfully submitted, you'll receive an e-mail confirmation from DebraMason(at)RNA(dot)org with the subject, "RELIGION | NEWSWRITERS - Thank you for your payment."2) Mail two copies of your book with a copy of your contest receipt/invoice to RNA: Contests, 30 Neff Annex, School of Journalism, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211.
- 1st place: $250 and citation
- 2nd place: $150 and citation
- 3rd place: $100 and citation
3) Deadline: Enter online and postmark book copies by 11:59 PM CT on Feb. 1, 2013.For entry tips, see this guide.
- The online entry form includes a payment page where you can pay by credit card or choose "Bill me" to pay by check (payable to RNA). Accepted credit cards: VISA, MC, DISC, AMEX.
- If paying for multiple entrants with the same check: choose "Bill me" on each entry form.
- Submit check (payable to RNA) with a copy of the invoice(s) to our business office: RNA, PO Box 2037, Westerville, OH 43086-2037.
- International entrants: credit card payments required.
payments must be in U.S. Dollars.
Canadian entrants may also submit checks in U.S. currency.
- Receipts for credit card transactions are available online at the time of purchase. Receipts for checks are available upon request.
- Payment questions: contact Michelle Stacho, 573-355-5201, ext. 4#.
ENTRY AND PAYMENT QUESTIONS
I'm an RNA member. Does it matter if I sign in to the RNA site before I submit my entry?
YES. In order to get the discounted member rate, RNA members must sign in before they begin their contest entry form. Your site username is the first letter of your first name, followed by your last name (ie: Jane Doe = jdoe). Retrieve your password here.
Can I submit hard copies?
Yes. Books should only be submitted as hard copies. They will not be returned.
What is the publishing date range for the 2013 RNA contests?
Books published Jan. 1, 2012 to Dec. 31, 2012 are eligible for the 2013 RNA contests. (The Chandler student award has a different date range).
My company check isn't ready yet. Can I still enter?
Yes. Submit your entry online and choose the "Bill me" option on the payment page. Check payments should be postmarked by Feb. 1.
May full-time students (high school, undergrad or graduate) enter categories other than the Chandler Award?
Yes, full-time students may enter any categories in which they meet eligibility requirements.
Do I have to be a member of RNA to enter?
No, but we welcome you to look over our membership benefits and encourage you to join. Plus, members are eligible for highly discounted contest and conference registration fees.
Do I have to be a religion beat reporter to submit an entry?
No. Anyone may enter the book category provided the entrant meets the eligibility requirements.
I work outside North America. May I enter RNA’s contests?
Yes. Your entry, however, must be in English to be eligible. Payment must be in U.S. Dollars.
Why would an entry be disqualified, and what is the process for disqualification?
An entry is only disqualified if the entrant doesn't meet our eligibility requirements. Please read the eligibility rules carefully. If you have a question, you may call RNA to resolve the question in advance. Disqualified entries will not be returned and entry fees will be forfeited.
May I submit more than one entry for the same award?
Yes. You may enter an award category as many times as you like, so long as you submit different material for each entry and pay the entry fee.
May I submit entries for other awards too?
Yes. You may enter as many RNA awards as you wish, provided you meet the eligibility requirements for each.
Will I receive confirmation that RNA received my entry?
Yes. When your entry is successfully submitted, you'll receive a confirmation via e-mail from DebraMason(at)RNA(dot)org. Be sure to check your spam folder if you can't locate the e-mail.
Who judges the contest?
Judges include former contest winners, religion writers or others with specialized knowledge of religion reporting. Judges may not judge contests in which they have a conflict of interest.
How many finalists/winners will the judges choose?
Judges generally select 10 finalists and three top winners, depending on the number of entries.
When will I know if I’m a finalist?
RNA posts the finalists on its website, RNA.org, in May. The list is also published in the RNA e-newsletter. If an award category does not exceed 20 entries, no finalists will be listed.
When will I know if I’m a winner?
The contest chairman will contact winners in June. Winners are revealed to the general public each fall at an awards banquet during RNA's Annual Conference.
Do I have to collect my prize in person to receive it?
No, but most winners try to attend the awards banquet. If winners are unable to attend, we mail them their check and plaque.
Do you publish past entries?
At RNA.org, when possible we link to the winning entries.