Guidelines and eligibility
Carefully read the guidelines below, then complete the application at the bottom of this page in its entirety. Applications are reviewed quarterly (Jan. 1, April 1, July 1 and Oct. 1), with decisions announced three weeks after deadlines. Questions? Call Amy Schiska at 573-355-5201, ext. 3#.
- Scholarships are available to full-time journalists in the U.S. and Canada.
- Scholarships are valid for accredited theology schools, university-related divinity schools, or college/university departments of religion/philosophy, and can be used for traditional courses, shorter intensive courses or distance-learning courses.
- Applicants must show evidence of employment as a full-time journalist in the news media. Journalists in any position or beat are eligible. Journalists working for religious media—including media supporting or promoting a particular religion, faith community or religious group—are not eligible.
- Scholarships are awarded as stipends of up to $5,000 each. They may cover: tuition, books, application fees, registration fees, lab fees, child care, activity fees and other expenses related to the course.
- Applicants are funded for no more than four courses during the project, and only one course per application period (now through July 31, 2014).
- Recipients must submit a 1,000-word maximum report detailing the course, benefits, challenges, course grade and syllabus within 30 days of receiving official grade.
- Additional information may be required. Program and guidelines are subject to change.
- RNA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability or other protected characteristic as established by law.
- RNF and RNA employees and their families are not eligible.
Applicant documentation and essay
The following information is required when you submit your application:
Lilly Scholarship application
- Employment history for last five years, including job duties, number of years as a journalist, etc. or résumé. Acceptable formats are: PDF, Word doc, TIFF, JPEG or plain text.
- An essay, in 500 words or less: Why do you seek this scholarship and how do you expect to benefit?
- Three story clips or audio files (dated within the last 12 mos.) via e-mail with your application. If you do not have data in electronic format, call Amy Schiska, 573-355-5201, ext. 3#.
- An e-mail from your human resources department confirming your employment.
- Freelancers must list all jobs held from the last 12 months and include duties and income received as well as a résumé.
Please have your documentation ready before you begin the application (see complete list, above). Applications cannot be saved mid-process.
TIPS: 1) If you're an RNA member or a registered site user, sign in to automatically populate several of the fields below. 2) Hover your cursor over underlined text below for more information.