RNA announces 2016 Chandler Student Award finalists
Tuesday, June 28, 2016
Columbia, Mo — Ten students were named June 28 as finalists for the 2016 Chandler Award for Excellence in Student Religion Reporting.
The award honors outstanding faith, values and ethics stories published in campus newspapers and magazines or at general circulation outlets during internships. It is part of the Religion Newswriters Association's Annual Awards for Religion Reporting Excellence.
This year's finalists are:
- Kirkland An, Wheaton College
- Jack Cahn, University of Pennsylvania
- Sadie Cruz, SUNY Plattsburgh
- Alexis Daily/Kaitlyn Chamberlin, Indiana University
- Rebecca Hia, Yeshiva University
- Katie Jones, Oklahoma Christian University
- Jonathan Orbell, Fuller Theological Seminary
- Jacob Steimer, University of Missouri
- Kelby Vera, University of Southern California
- Sara Weissman, University of California Berkeley
Three top winners will be revealed Sept. 24 at the RNA Annual Conference and Awards Banquet in Silver Spring, Md. They will split a prize purse of $1,050.
For more than a decade the student contest has been made possible through the generosity of the Chandler Legacy Fund in honor of Russell Chandler, former religion writer for the Los Angeles Times, and his wife, ML.
RNA Chief Operations Officer